My Congress Woman

Jun 5, 2009

According to Section 1, Article XI of the 1987 Constitution of my beloved Republic of the Philippines, and I quote:

"Public office is a public trust. Public officers and employees must, at all times, be accountable to the people, serve them with utmost responsibility, integrity, loyalty, and efficiency; act with patriotism and justice, and lead modest lives."

I live in the 4th District of Quezon and I am represented by the Honorable Nanette Castelo-Daza.

Now, the House Bills she authored are all well and good, often for the benefit of women and the elderly. I often see her face on the street signs in our Barangay for this project and that. She was even there during the graduation rites of my sister last April. She greets us with lots of banners during Christmas, New Year, Graduation, Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Fiesta and every other event you can think of. Very recently, there was a dance for the elderly that she sponsored. A project for the beautification of the high school also has her name on its walls. You could even say that she is, or her face is indeed very visible in our area. I don't want to think that these are all for name recall or what. You could get the impression that she is working very hard for us, her constituents and that we are very well represented.

However, the Honorable Representative made decisions that are not representative of my sentiments as her constituent. According to a report, she was one of the recipients of the P728 million Fertilizer Funds in 2004, when our district, as far as I can tell, have no agricultural lands. She also voted against the impeachment case filed against the president in 2008. It was shown live on national TV and I heard her vote to junk the complaint. Then allegedly, there are junkets. But now, she voted for HB 1109, a move to amend the constitution through a constituent assembly, of which I am, as a citizen of this country is opposed to. I am all for amending the constitution, to make it more attuned to the present times, but not so near the elections and definitely not under the present leadership.

Now, Neal Cruz said that we should kick out con-ass solons in next year's polls and I think, that is what I would do. I want my congressman to be a man or woman who will serve with utmost responsibility, integrity, loyalty, and efficiency. Cong. Daza may have a lot of redeeming qualities, but I feel that she has failed me where and when it matters most.

I hope that the coming elections (and I, like Earthlingorgeous hope that there will be one) will offer us new choices and therefore, a new hope for a better Philippines. I want my children to inherit that from us. We owe our children that much.


1 comments: to “ My Congress Woman

  • yatot
    June 05, 2009  

    hmmm... i wonder what side did Congressman Ricardo Sandoval of lone district of Malabon-Navotas voted? I want to know first before I can react... hahhahaha!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster