Is my Husband a Hypochondriac?

Sep 15, 2009

Is my husband turning into a hypochondriac?

After being diagnosed with hypertension a few months back, he has undergone a number of tests: from blood tests to ECG to stress test, to name a few. These were f course recommended by doctors he consulted. However, I am thinking that he may be imagining some of the symptoms and is just being paranoid about it.

A month ago, he was complaining of dizziness and headaches. He was cleared by the Ophthalmologist and his CT scan didn't show any problem. But he thinks he needed glasses, so we went to an Optometrist. So now he has glasses, but he wont wear them because he said he is not used to them. Then, when he changed medications for his hypertension, he again asked for an appointment with another Ophthalmologist who once again told him, he didn't need to wear glasses. So he is not wearing those glasses anymore! Last night, he was telling me that his blood pressure shoots up whenever he have to have them monitored. Which makes me think, is he turning into a hypochondriac?



According to Wikipedia, Hypochondriasis (or hypochondria, often referred to as health phobia) refers to an excessive preoccupation or worry about having a serious illness. Often, hypochondria persists even after a physician has evaluated a person and reassured them that their concerns about symptoms do not have an underlying medical basis or, if there is a medical illness, the concerns are far in excess of what is appropriate for the level of disease.

I know it is right of him to worry about is health. We have 3 young kids anyway and he is just in his early thirties. So now I am thinking that he is just worrying needlessly. I keep assuring him that his hypertension is manageable and that there is nothing else that is wrong with him. As long as he eats the right food and keeps on exercising, then he is just fine. But he is also asking me whether what he is experiencing could be withdrawal symptoms from having quit smoking quite abruptly some 4 months back.
Could it be because of that? Or is he just being paranoid? Please do share if you have any similar experiences so that I can assure my husband.



2 comments: to “ Is my Husband a Hypochondriac?

  • genejosh
    September 15, 2009  

    hope your hubby will be fine...

    Thanks for sponsoring ad space sis...

    Our Adventures Together/
    Her and History
    Tasty Exploration

  • christina
    September 16, 2009  

    Once I thought my nanay is hypochondriac too. I called her "nana" because she had a low pain tolerance and basta may sumakit gusto paospital agad kahit simpleng kabag lang. There was a time na dinedma ko ang pangungulit nya ng naimpatso cya sa dami ng kinain. And i felt sorry for that. Ayun cya ngaun "on indefinite vacation". So my advise is, go ahead check up kung check up, doctor kung doctor. Kahit pa sabihing it's all in the mind.

    And you know from what I had experienced nagka hypochondriasis na din yata ako ha ha.

Post a Comment

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster