Fire Ants are Eating My Flowers!

Jul 12, 2010

I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see them myself, but these beautiful flowers below, known as Vietnam Rose are being eaten by fire ants! And my beautiful plants are almost dead! Who would have thought that a fire ant range would cause the demise of these colorful plants?

At first we thought they were being eaten by cats because we know that they do munch on plants and have seen them on several occasions. But these plants are in recycled Coke plastic bottles and are hanging on the wall. The cats would have to lean at an impossible angle to get to them. Besides, we have not seen them take a bite at these plants. Then we next suspected that the birds are doing it. There are birds in our yard every morning and while it seems impossible that they would eat the leaves, we thought that they perhaps could nip at the flower buds! Then lo and behold, as I was watering the plants this morning, I looked closely and I that saw fire ants are the culprit! We already saw some of them on the ground but we had no reason to think that they would eat the plant so we didn't look closely. I wasn't able to take pictures because I left the camera at work but the plants really look bad. I already moved some of them and I do hope that they will recover from this.

But what do I do now with these ants? Help!


2 comments: to “ Fire Ants are Eating My Flowers!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster